8.8.07

Adjustment

I have arrived in beautiful Tennessee. Whoa. This place is humid. The water just kind of pools on the hairs of my chest. I don't have many chest hairs but I still get the little darker spot on my shirts from the sweat. I am just not used to the constant swimming I have to perform in the air. Just walking seems like I'm working out in a sauna.
Yesterday I drove. This is a big fear for me. I wasn't sure if I could handle it. Anyone who has driven on my road (maples branch) not what I mean. It is very thin and very curvy. Plus Americans drive like maniacs. I was a little intimidated. Yikes. But I grew some testicles and got in my little gold saturn and drove around. Of course I was making a big deal out of nothing. My body knew what to do. I drove on the correct side, I didn't freak out when a car came by and I didn't get lost on the new crazy amount of roads that are in the area. So today I will drive to Glades Road to meet Ben Myers for a beer at the Fox and Parrot Tavern. I will listen to new music and love the drive.
I bought some CDs yesterday. I bought Feist's the Reminder. I love it. It's great. I more poppier Broken Social Scene. Just fantastic. I really like it a lot. I also bought Easy Tiger by Ryan Adams. Sky Blue Sky by Wilco. Wincing the Night Away by the Shins. They all sound great. Today I will listen mostly to Ryan Adams. I need some roots/americana/rock/alt-country today.
My first meal in the states was interesting. I arrive in Detroit, which is a nice looking airport, no Amsterdam but still pleasant. Their take on the United Terminal at Ohare was interesting. This was a panic inducing version with bright flashing lights. I then found a Fuddrucker's. So I bought an IBC Cream Soda. I haven't had one of those in years! So I just sat there giggling. I must have looked crazy just drinking a creamsoda with a shit eating grin plastered on my face. I then could not help but stare at the this enormous fat guy just stuffing his face in. Yeah, I don't chew when I eat but I hope I don't look like the fat guy from Monty Python's Meaning of Life when I eat. It was disgusting. Just a really fat guy shoveling food into his trap. I need to make sure I don't look like that. It was a sure fire welcome to the states. The land of affluence and fat fucks. Scary.

No comments: